Umai Dry Australia – Artisan Meat Starter Kit
* Registered Postage Australia Wide
* International Postage Cost Will Vary
My Slice Of Life is the authorised reseller of Umai Dry products in Australia! The desire to produce artisan food products safely at home has never been greater and we are very excited to bring this revolutionary product to the Australian market. Traditionally salami and similar charcuterie products are fermented without the use of refrigeration, if this isn’t done correctly it is likely to result in a very serious case of food poisoning. Umai Dry kits allow the user to safely cure or dry age items while being under refrigeration for the entire time thus eliminating uncontrollable environmental factors. The best part is that no experience is necessary to produce restaurant quality steak & dry cured meats from the comfort of your home.
UMAi Dry® brings together the best of old world artisan meat tradition with sophisticated modern technology making it easy for you to craft authentic dry aged steak, charcuterie and salumi in the comfort of your own refrigerator.
UMAi Dry® Features: NO ORDINARY PLASTIC BAG!
- Breaths and allows meat to dry age
- Protects meat while aging
- Prevents exchange of odors
- No mess, no mold, no off-flavours
- UMAi Dry® is a special membrane, not a vacuum bag
The UMAi Dry Aged Steak Starter Kit is the perfect way to start crafting your own dry-aging steaks.
- 1 Artisan Dry Aged Steak Pack (for three 12-16 lb Subprimal Ribeye, Striploin or Sirloin cuts)
- 1 Artisan Charcuterie Pack (for five dry curing projects, up to 30 lb of meat)
- Proline Vacuum Sealer
- Recipes and Illustrated Instructions
Proline Domestic Vacuum Sealer – VS-D2:
The ease and convenience of preserving and extending the freshness of your food will become an indispensable part of your food preparation and can extend food freshness for up to 5 times longer than conventional storage methods.
- 50 Non Stop Cycles
- Stainless Steel
- Perfect for sealing large quantities of food at one time
- Extra Wide Seal 2.5mm
- Includes 5 x 22cm x 30cm
- Pulse Vacuum Function
- One Touch Vacuum & Seal Function
- Manual Seal Function
- Compatible with all Proline Vacuum Accessories
- Bonus Bag Cutter
- Model Name: Vac Pro Domestic
- Model Code: VS-D2
- Warranty: 12 Months Domestic Warranty
- Product Dimensions: W 10cm X L 37cm X H 6cm
- Product Weight: 1kg
- Power Supply: 220-240V ~ 50Hz, 110W
- Noise: <72 dB
- Max Vacuum Pressure: -0.70 Bar Max
- Air Extraction Volume: 9 Litres / MIN
Instructions for Steak:
STEP 1: Clean Transfer Meat into your Ribeye/Striploin Dry Aging Bags
Aim for a clean transfer from the original packaging to UMAi Dry®. Try not to touch the meat.
- Scrub the exterior processor packaging with soap and water. Wipe dry.
- Cut open packaging on the wider end of the meat, and drain off excess purge. Make sure the opening is wide enough for the meat to slide through easily.
- Fold back a 2-3 inch cuff of the UMAi Dry opening to keep it clear of purge or fat.
For Boneless Cuts:
- Keep meat covered in its original packaging.
- Slide UMAi Dry over meat and original packaging.
- Flip meat end over end.
- Pull out and discard the original packaging.
For Bone-In Cuts:
- Prepare clean surface using kitchen parchment or foil. Slide meat out of packaging and rest on clean surface.
- Do not dry meat. The gooey coating is the ONLY way your UMAi Dry bag sticks to the boneshell and fat cap.
- To prevent sharp bone ends from piercing the UMAi Dry membrane, place a thin strip of parchment paper or folded damp paper towel along the bone tips.
- Slide meat into the UMAi Dry bag; be careful not to snag the bones. Preserve as much “meat glue” as possible.
Important Note: UMAi Dry provides a customised dry aging environment- even when loose. During the first 24 hours after bagging, UMAi Dry will relax. Don’t worry! This is normal as the membrane takes up moisture from the meat. After it bonds and the meat shrinks by week 3 or 4, the UMAi Dry membrane may even release. Never fear. It’s still protecting your dry aging treasure.
The Steak Dry Aging Process: What to Expect?
- Day 1: At least 75% of the meat surface is in contact with the UMAi Dry membrane. And your kitchen might be a mess.
- Day 2: UMAi Dry will relax, and may appear loose as it takes up moisture from the meat. There may be moisture pooling in the corners; let time and your fridge take care of that.
- Day 4-5: Bond begins to form; you may notice color change.
- Day 10: The meat should begin to turn mahogany brown. You may begin to catch an earthy, blue-cheesy, nutty scent.
- Day 21: The bark is firm and dark, mostly even in color, and almost firm enough to “knock” on. There may be softer and firmer spots. Small white dots may be salts, fat or mold, which is OK. Grey, blue, green, or black mold is bad news.
- Day 28-45: The meat is firm and dark, and may begin to pull away from the UMAi Dry membrane. Separation is normal— the meat is still protected in its “custom dry aging space.”
Instructions for Charcuterie:
- Select an appropriate cut of meat for your project (Pancetta = pork belly or a pork Capicola “gabagool” = pork shoulder or pork butt Lonzino = pork tenderloin)
- Coat the meat with cure and spices and leave it in a ziplock bag for two weeks to cure.
- Typical Charcuterie base cure consists of:
- Kosher Salt – 3% of meat weight or 66 g per 5 lbs (2.2 kg) (use scale to measure salt)
- Instacure #2 – 0.25% of meat weight or about 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs (2.2 kg)
- Vacuum seal the cured piece of meat into UMAi Dry® and place on an open wire rack in your fridge for 6-8 weeks (Yes… good things take time)
- Within 6-8 weeks (or longer for larger pieces of meat) that pork belly or pork shoulder will transform into delectable meat candy.
- Typically dry cured meats are ready when they have lost 30-40% of their original weight
- Slice thin and knock your friends socks off
- Please use the following link to the Umai Dry Youtube channel which is packed with Instructional Videos, Tips & Recipes – Click here
If you are interested in this Umai Dry Artisan Meat Starter Kit, please consider other Umai Dry products in our range:
Make it, Bake it, Brew it, Press it, Cook it, Cut it, Enjoy it! Improve your ‘slice of life’ with My Slice of Life. Australia’s premier retailer of DIY food & beverage making supplies and specialist supplier of quality lifestyle products for the inside and outside of your home.
Home, Gift or Trade we’ve got you covered Australia wide and Internationally.
My Slice Of Life is an Australian owned family business that has operated from our home base in Wangaratta, Victoria since 2011. We employ skilled, experienced trade qualified professionals to ensure you’re armed with not only the best products but the best service and advice. Our core business values since inception have always revolved around honesty, service, price and product knowledge and as the years pass we will ensure these principles remain unchanged.
We’ve been selling online since 2011. You can buy direct from us and we’ll ship anywhere! Each order gets packaged extra carefully so you can be sure your purchase will arrive in perfect condition. We have some pretty good rates for shipping as well.