Whole Animal 2 Day Butchery Workshop
Please Note: Workshops will resume in 2022. Dates will be limited so bookings are recommended ASAP.
Date & Duration:
- Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th of April 2022
Start time(both days) – 9:00am, Finish time – 1:30pm
- Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th of October 2022
Start time(both days) – 9:00am, Finish time – 1:30pm
*Participants are asked to arrive 15 minutes prior to the commencement time on both days
Pork – $550 Per Person
Lamb – $650 Per Person
Venison – $700 Per Person
**Please be sure to choose the local pick up option at check out to avoid having to pay shipping fees
*All equipment and produce is supplied as part of your booking fee. Participants will take home all the meat they prepare during the class, a new boning knife and a butcher’s apron as a memento of the experience.
**We reserve the right to raise our class fee at any point within reason; unstable meat prices make accurately costing classes months in advance of the event very difficult, unfortunately we don’t have a crystal ball to foresee any potential price rises and we will raise the cost to attend if we are advised of any significant cost increases. We encourage anyone interested in attending to book asap! Once booked you won’t have any more to pay regardless of any potential cost increases closer to the date.
My Slice Of Life – 159 Vincent Road, Wangaratta, Victoria 3677
Calling all foodies, farmers, hunters & home butchers. If you want a seriously fun and practical experience in the beautiful north east of Victoria then we have just the class for you! Clean out your freezer, pack your overnight bag, then come and join us for our weekend butchery workshop.
Following on from our very popular ‘whole animal’ butchery class we have decided to take things up a notch! This new 2 day format is designed to offer participants the full nose to tale experience of processing a whole side of your chosen meat variety from start to finish. Our intensive but fun filled whole weekend class will be conducted over 2 x 4.5 hour sessions, both days being spent under the tutelage of qualified trade butcher and experienced teacher Brent Ibrom.
Day 1 will begin with a discussion on the general equipment required to successfully butcher your own meat at home and the secrets to properly sharpening your knives, the knife sharpening knowledge alone is sure to be worth the price of admission. With the fundamentals taken care of Brent will proceed to demonstrate the breakdown of a whole pig carcass – you will be taken through all the individual cuts, and in the process he will highlight which part of the animal you use to make bacon, what goes into sausages and where to find the best roasting pieces. Now the fun really begins! Each participant will put their newly found butchery knowledge into practice by preparing their chosen meat variety (approx 24-26kg) to suit their own requirements. Brent and another guest butcher will be on hand to offer guidance and support throughout this stage.
The fun doesn’t stop on Day 2. Sunday’s session is all about the smoke, the salt & the sausage! Participants will continue with their bachelor of butchery by transforming some of the previous days fresh cuts and trim into assorted meaty delicacies; sausages, bacon & kabana are just some of the potential options able to be made throughout the morning. As with the first day Brent will educate everyone on all aspects of sausage making, meat smoking & general curing techniques before assisting attendees to create whatever their heart desires.
All the supplies and equipment required for production are included within the class fee. At the end of the session you will take home all of the meat freshly prepared during the class, ready for cooking, refrigerating or freezing in preparation for your next dinner party, barbecue or picnic. Following completion of this class, each participant is invited to take advantage of a 15% discount on all of our stock butchery equipment and ingredients, this is only redeemable on the day of the class.
Do I Need To Bring Anything?
A smile and willingness to learn are all we require from you. All equipment and produce is supplied as part of your booking fee. Participants are advised to bring a pen and paper to take notes but a class booklet will be provided so you won’t forget a thing!
An airtight container and cooler bag for travelers may be needed to transport your freshly made goodies home.
Make A Booking:
- To secure a place full payment is required at the time of booking. We also offer a ‘buy now, pay later’ payment services in Zip or Afterpay
- 6 participants are required for classes to go ahead and the class may be postponed if minimum participant numbers are not met. Most classes will be capped at 10-12 people, we hope this will ensure each attendee is provided with the best environment to learn and retain the skill set being taught.
- Given the nature of preparation required for the class, paid bookings are non-refundable and cannot be refunded or redeemed for cash but may be used as payment for products or used to attend another class of the customers choosing.
- If you are unable to attend or wish to transfer to another class date, please advise us within 14 days
- If you have advised us with at least 14 days notice we are happy to credit your class fee for use in a future class or as payment for products
- If you have not advised us with at least 14 days notice and we can’t fill your place in the class with another participant your fee will be forfeited